Monday, March 2, 2009

Monash

It has begun.  Once again I am trampling through the grounds of the Clayton campus of Monash University.  The weather on this day if surreally reflective of my state of mind as I blunder through classes and hope to God that I'm not too late to a class due to the confusion of different locations yet undiscovered.  My next class is Children's Literature.  I wonder if I'll get any extra marks for submitting myself as a representative of the indomitable spirit of the inner child? Probably not as this IS academia and such things are often frowned upon.

My earlier class was an Introduction to Fiction Writing.  We were adamantly told that 'once upon a time' or 'happy ever after' had no place in this class...morbidity seems to reign in this dwelling of literary aspirants...UGH!  I am so going to fail if that is the factual case.  So much for imagination and creativity being sancrosanct in fiction.  I'm really not sure if this is for me.  I enjoy to write and ultimately the writing is for me - it's an outlet of my imagination or quirky thought patterns, not to be labelled and placed under a label that does not fit and therefore is not "acceptable".

Anyway, we shall see where this semester takes me.  The campus (as is the State) is under seige today from natural forces.  Winds are battering the people as they scurry across from the relative safety of the buildings.  Trees are bending like someone doing aerobic stretches at fast forward speed.  Somewhere in the State, firemen are fighting a battle against nature with fires burning and shifting in the blink of an eye like a bunny on speed as it has no defined direction.


No comments: