Sunday, March 8, 2009

Just a great book?


I thought that I would just shoot this out into the ether.  At the moment I'm watching the 1st of the Harry Potter movies.  Now we all know that due to time constraints, movies never quite meet up to the book.  I enjoy the Harry Potter movies but for some reason these books, for me, are ones that I can and do, re-read often.  I have just finished re-reading the 1st of the series again...why, well I'm actually studying the 3rd book for one of my subjects, and since I can't just go straight into the 3rd book I've begun at the beginning!

My nephew is currently re-reading the 6th book, mainly because it is about to be released soon at the cinema.  I think that likened to the Lord of the Rings series of novel, Harry Potter will be a favourite to be read frequently and remain in the forefront of Children's Literature for many years to come.  This brings me to another issue.  During my lecture last week my lecturer brought forth the statement that often there is a stigma to adults reading what is considered children's books.  She went on to say that this was a reason that books such as the Harry Potter novels and even more recently Christopher Paolini's books were all given an 'adult' cover.  Do we in fact look down our noses at adults reading such books; those that have a 'childish' cover or were notably written for the specific audience of children?  This is not dissimilar to the stigma given to the romance genre...a favourite annoyance of mine.

Anyway, looking forward to the next in the Harry Potter movies and of course many years to come re-reading and immersing myself in the Harry Potter series novels.

No comments: